January 27, 2015

E. C. Atkins & Co. Location

Here is a period artist's rendition of the Atkins saw works and the location today. The 1907 view is looking towards the southeast, with S. Illinois St. on the left and W. South St. on the right. On the right are stack of lumber behind the handle mill and kiln. The main part of the works was bounded by W. South St. on the north, W. Henry St. on the south, S. Capitol Ave. on the west, and S. Illinois St. on the east.

Hyman's Handbook of Indianapolis, 1907
Bing Maps

Indianapolis maps 1898-1941

1 comment:

  1. I do not have a saw but I have a check dated Sep 13 1922 on the EC Atkins account. The Indianpolis location is lined through and handwritten is New Orleans, LA. It is signed by H Waddle (the best I can tell). The check was written to my husband's grandfather Chas F O'Rouke, Boudelinville, LA. for $100. I'll be glad to share picture if anyone interested.

    ReplyDelete